Castle Menzies

castle menzies
castle menzies

1600x1200

 
castle menzies

1024x768

 
castle menzies

200x150

 

 

Castle Menzies

 

Restored and renovated by the Menzies Clan Society, the spectacular Castle Menzies, which dates back to the 16th century, now welcomes tourists and visitors from all over. For more than 400 years, Castle Menzies was the Clan Menzies’ seat of the Chiefs. Situated in an important location, this castle was involved in the Highland’s often turbulent history. It was here in 1746 that Charles Edward Stuart (Bonnie Prince Charlie) rested en route to Culloden.

With the death of the last heir to the Menzies of Weem in 1918, Castle Menzies ceased to be their family seat. It then passed through different owners and was last employed in World War II by the Poles as their army’s depot for medical supplies. In 1957, it was acquired by the Menzies Clan Society in a much deteriorated state.

Analysis of the Castle in 1971 to 72 showed results of a widespread proliferation of a persistent dry-rot and the urgency for immediate action if the structure were to be salvaged for future generations. Restoration and renovation plans were quickly drawn up and a call for funding was started.

Fueled by a Historic Buildings Council for Scotland grant, work started on the Castle Menzies in 1972 of September. The next year, the task was accomplished and the Castle became open for public viewing.