Eilean Donan Castle

eilean donan
eilean donan

1600x1200

 
eilean donan

1024x768

 
eilean donan

200x150

 

 

Eilean Donan Castle

 

Most probably named in honor of the Irish saint of the sixth century, Bishop Donan who arrived in Scotland circa 580 A.D., Eilean Donan has several churches dedicated to him. It is also probable that

the good saint organized on the island a small community or cell in the late seventh century.

It was not until the first part of the 13th century that a fortified building was constructed on the island.

The first one was built to serve as a means of protection for the Kintail lands against the raiding Vikings who had, by this time, controlled and settled a vast part of Northern Scotland and most of the Western Isles during 800 to 1260 A.D.

For over a period of a couple of hundred years, Eilean Donan lay in ruins, neglect, and exposed to the harsh elements that would destroy it. Then in 1911, a visionary named Lt. Colonel John purchased the island and together with Farquar Macrae, Lt. Johnís Clerk of Works, the next couple of decades saw the reconstruction and restoration of the former beauty and glory of Eilean Donan.

Reconstruction of the castle was done following the primary phases ground plan which survived and the building was finally completed in July 1932.